I found myself on my long weekend off last weekend watching AM television. So I turn on the TV Friday morning to a classic I Love Lucy Episode guest starring a young Richard Crenna. Right after that for some reason I put it on CBS. You all know what comes on at 10 AM right? The Price is Right. I was enthralled. They had a game where the contestant won 10,000. I found myself standing, jumping around, and applauding when she won.
It then hit me that was the exact same thing I did as a kid watching TPiR at my grandma and grandma's house with my little sister. We would root for that wheel to hit 1.00, and then perhaps 1.00 in the bonus spin for an extra 10 grand. We would celebrate as if we were on the show, jumping, hugging, high fives. The family always wanted to go on that or the Family Feud, although now they are trying to convince me to go on Jeopardy. Great times, great summers.
It also brought to a moment of reflection when my grandparents lived with us in their twilight years. My grandma had dementia, Alzheimers, diabetes, and was unable to really talk, but on the days I didn't have college, I sat with her and watched Bob Barker and Rod Roddy work their magic. That was one of the few times my grandma would show any emotion. We would jump up and dance when a contestant would win, or both say ayyyye and have a mean expression when they blew it. It's funny how things can trigger certain memories!
I miss her.
1 comment:
I too have fond memories of my childhood, relatives and the Price Is Right. Thanks for sharing yours. Maybe you should be on the show in her memory.
Post a Comment