I was fortunate enough to be able to attend my thirteenth year of Royal Family Kids Camp. As usual the week went by fast. The camp was at the Alpine Conference Center near Blue Jay and Lake Arrowhead.
The week started out with nervousness after being sick for the entire week before camp, then moved to excitement once we started the drive up. However, on Monday, I found out that not one, but both of my campers weren't coming to camp. For the first time in my 13 years, I wasn't going to be a direct counselor. I was bummed-obviously.
It was wonderful to see the returning campers and the new ones!
I was able to buddy up with 3 other counselors and be on a team with 2 campers. They were great kids. On Wednesday I was asked to buddy up with 2 other counselors and 2 campers because one of the campers had such unique needs. Looking back I feel very fortunate that I was able to bond with 4 campers and 5 counselors!
We had a ton of fun, from swimming, to slip and slide,to carpetball, to water balloons, to arts and crafts, to a talent show, to a carnival and birthday party, to a ton of sports-mostly whiffle ball and slab hockey! Our campers were very athletic, and we were on the field for a good length of time.
My second half of the week campers loved their birthday gifts, especially the bug collection exploration kits they received. We spent almost all day Thursday looking for lizards and bugs. Our campers caught a couple of lizards, a BEAUTIFUL butterfly, a moth, three grasshoppers, a ladybug, a fly, a beetle, ants, and I think a couple of other items! Our portion of the talent show consisted of our two campers showing off their prized collection.
I love breathing in the mountain, pine tree laced air!
I can't wait until next year!
There is really so much more to process, but it is hard to communicate it all. I just really love those kids and enjoy sharing a week with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment