For the first time in about a month, my one on one computer session customer showed up. She was a sweet elderly (in her late 80's folks) patron whom I have helped out before. We were able to figure out some shortcuts to her emailing habits, and some other internet issues. What struck me was our conversation right at the end of the hour. I told her that she was a good learner and to keep practicing, and she replied "I am not afraid of it anymore." That really made me feel good and brought a huge smile to my face. Amidst all the habitual, repetitive chaos and craziness that comes with the NBPL clientele, to know that you can make a difference, however small, makes it so worth it.
I guess that is why I continue to do Royal Family Kids Camp. This August will be year 13 for me. Last year was very tough as I was at a new camp, with new staff, and a pretty tough boy who only showed emotion at our very final goodbye. Look up the starfish story sometime. Making a difference, planting a seed, giving back, is the way to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment